Thursday 17 August 2017

Dragonflies 2017

I've always had a bit of an obsession with dragonflies. Their speed and agility, their gracefulness and curiosity has always fascinated me. But, it is has only been over the past couple of years that I have truly started to learn to identify them. I've seen more diversity of species this year than I think I ever have before, and I haven't had the time to write blogs about all the reserves I've been to. So, here is a photographic summary of the species I've got fairly good photos of this year. I've included a written list at the bottom of other species I have seen this year, but not managed to photograph well.

I am still learning to identify them, so if you think I have made a mistake, please let me know. Thanks to @BDSdragonflies for their help in identifying species knew to me.

May / June 2017, RSPB Strumpshaw Fen:

Large red damselfly
Common blue damselfly
Blue tailed damselfly

Banded demoiselle
Broad bodied chaser
Scarce chaser
Hairy dragonfly

Black tailed skimmer

August 2017, Upton Broad:

Ruddy darter
Emerald damselfy


August 2017, Home:

Migrant hawker

Other species I've seen this year:
Common darter
Brown hawker
Southern hawker

That makes 14 different species I have knowingly seen and identified this year. Let's hope there's more to come!

2 comments:

  1. Hello from across the border in Suffolk. Just found your lovely blog.. such wonderful photos of dragonflies.. I do have a soft spot for these beautiful insects.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julie,
      Thank you so much, I love this time of year - dragonfly heaven!

      Delete