Sunday 11 May 2014

Birds of Budapest and Baby Blue tits

"What will her parents say when you tell them that the last time you saw her, she was chasing a hooded crow round the back of a church somewhere in Hungary..."


I spent the long weekend in Budapest with my other half and his family. We attended a baptism, then as we were chatting and waiting outside, I spotted a hooded crow. Having done no research on the birds of Hungary, assuming we would have no time for wildlife watching, and having lived my entire life somewhere in East Anglia, I took pursuit, trying to get a photo of the hooded crow. It was only later that I realised the rest of the gathering (mostly local) probably thought I was mad... Later on, we saw them everywhere. There were a flock of almost twenty near the palace. Still, it was a first for me...

We also heard (and later saw) our first swifts of the year too in Budapest, although we haven't as yet  seen any in Norfolk. There were also swallows and house martins aplenty, and black-headed gulls, cormorants and herons frequenting the river Danube.



Tuesday 6th May

Blue tit box update

Our blue tits have hatched! I think they must have appeared on either Sunday 4th or Monday 5th May. They were all out, live and kicking when I went into work on Tuesday morning. My classes, other teachers and I have been very busy watching their antics and their parents' visits to the box to feed them, keep them warm and remove fecal sacks.




Thursday 8th May

Friday 9th May

Friday 9th May

As well as pictures of our beautiful blue tits, I now have the capabilities for video too! Here is a little snapshot from Thursday 8th May.


No comments:

Post a Comment